Salmon is a fatty fish commonly prized for its health benefits, mostly because of its high omega 3 content, which most people don't get enough of.
• But there is a big nutritional difference between wild and farmed salmon.
Protein content is pretty much the same in both but farmed salmon contains much more omega 6 fatty acids and 3 times the amount of saturated fat. Therefore contains 40% + more calories.
For this reason, the omega 6 to omega 3 ratio is about 3 times higher in farmed, compared to wild ones.
Wild salmon is also higher in minerals, including potassium, zinc and iron.
• Farmed salmon has much higher concentrations of contaminants than wild salmon.
The most dangerous pollutant found in it is the PCBs, which are strongly associated with cancer and various other health problems.
PCB concentrations in farmed are 5 to 10 times higher than in wild salmon.
• Farmed salmon have 30 times the number of sea lice.
• They are fed pellets of chicken feces, corn meal, soy, genetically modified canola oil and other fish containing concentrations of toxins plus chemicals to give them pink/red color.
• They are administered with antibiotics at higher levels than any other livestock.
Those antibiotics are passed on to the consumer, making us more antibiotic resistant.
• As usual, you get what you pay for.
#yamamotonutrition #madeinitaly #iafstore #teamyamamoto #teamstones #maxximumshop #energy1999 #fitfam #onlinecoach #bodybuilder #muscles #gymrat #biceps #fitspo #fitspiration #healthyfood #muscle #instagym #salmon #protein #bodybuilding #nutrition #gains #fitfood - 6 minutes ago