F I V E F A C T S |
F I D D L E R C R A B S
1. As they grow, fiddler crabs shed their exoskeletons in a process called molting. During this time they are able to regrow missing limbs and claws.⠀
2. Males are recognized by their one large claw that they wave about to attract females and to defend themselves. Female fiddler crabs only have two small claws.⠀
3. In the wild, fiddler crabs will dig burrows in the sand up to two feet deep where they rest during the day and hide from predators.⠀
4. Fiddler crabs are scavengers that delicately sift through the sand for their food.⠀
5. You can find fiddler crabs along the inter-tidal zone of beaches where they are most active in the early morning hours.
#inspirecuriosity #naturestudy - 4 months ago