️DID YOU KNOW️
1. @ballyhoo_boyle shot this beast of a hog.
2.The Hogfish uses its elongated pig-like snout to rummage and graze for crustaceans that are buried beneath the sand. The shape of its snout and the way it uses it is what gave the Hogfish its name.
3. Juvenile Hogfish start out as female and then become male as they mature.
4. Hogfish have been recorded to live for up to 11 years.
5. Hogfish social communities are quite interesting, with one male mating with and protecting a group of females.
6. The common name for Hogfish in Spanish is “doncella de pluma” which literally translates to “feathered maiden”.
7. Males tend to be more intensely colored than females with a signature black spot behind the pectoral fins. Females are a pale grey or brown with males exhibiting brighter red or orange colors.
8. Even though they are a part of the wrasse family, Hogfish are closely related to parrot fish. - 10 days ago