Look out, taste buds! This vegan red dhal is absolutely AMAZING and is hands-down my favorite recipe ever. It's loaded with lentils so it's protein-packed and full of potassium, calcium, and zinc. .
2 1/2 cups lentils
2 cups water
4 red potatoes, cubed
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 13.5 ounce can coconut milk
1 14 ounce can coconut cream
1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
5 teaspoons curry powder
2 teaspoons turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
1. In a large pot, heat oil, onion, garlic, and spices and cook until onions are semi-translucent.
2. In a medium pot, add water and potato chunks and bring to a boil, then let simmer until soft. (The water line should be a couple of inches above the potatoes, though they do have a tendency to float around like little icebergs!)
3. In a medium pot, add water and lentils. (The water line should be a couple of inches above the lentils.)
4. Cook lentils for roughly 7-10 minutes. (It's better if they are slightly undercooked because they'll keep cooking a bit later in the sauce.)
5. Add coconut milk and crushed tomatoes to medium pot and stir thoroughly.
6. Drain potatoes and lentils and add them to the medium pot and let simmer for 10 minutes.
7. Enjoy the little vacation that is about to take place in your mouth! - 5 hours ago