Making calls definitely doesn’t light me up like a Christmas ...
Honestly, it is something that used to make me anxious. Something that I would actively avoid doing and something that undoubtedly hurt my business.
When you don’t want to do something people can feel and hear that. That feeling that you are giving them is destroying your efforts to connect and convert prospects, aka create impact and income.
In my time, I have tried many things to help improve this:
1. Reciting, “I love cold calling in the mornings” to myself a dozen times before reaching out to leads (not exactly a cold call).
2. I tried suiting up to sell (WTF was I thinking).
3. I tried roll playing with a fellow trainer.
4. I tried call scripts which probably sounded like I was reading off a teleprompter for the first time.
None of which worked and only compounded my anxiety and limiting beliefs.
Here are the things that helped me the most:
1. Change your state or environment – When I started making calls from a standing position, in the sun, I immediately felt more comfortable.
2. Smile before you speak - When you smile, your tone actually becomes more positive and friendly and people actually like that
3. Take action immediately – If you get a lead call them immediately (if you can), for two reasons: Firstly, the lead is in an action oriented state of mind, Secondly you wont have time to catastrophize.
4. Make it a game and change up the metrics – how many people can I keep on the phone for 5 minutes or longer, what is the average length of my calls, how many calls did I make, what percentage of calls booked in for an appointment. (Now you aren’t going to make that many calls each day, so run your game over a week or so)
5. Remember it is not about you – you may hate calling, but your prospects need you. Rise to the occasion.
6. Treat the person on the phone like a friend you haven’t seen in a while – ask questions, question answers, tell stories and engage. You require the relationship before you can deliver the results.
When it comes to calling on clients I am no @the.philipwilson @grantcardone @realjayabraham , but these tips helped me and hopefully they help you too. - 6 hours ago