Body MRI scans with two dramatically different body compositions -- BMI 40 (obese) vs BMI 20 (healthy)
On the left , you see visceral fat encompassing the major organs, which raises insulin resistance, blood pressure, and plaque buildup in the arteries, drastically increasing the risk of heart disease. Notice the enlarged heart in the left image.
What else can you see ?
• Liver: Enlarged due to fat deposits, which can lead to cirrhosis
• Hips, Knees: Accelerated osteoarthritis due to weight, which has caused a deterioration of the cartilage and subsequent grinding of bones across the narrowed joint
• Colon: Excessive abdominal fat, raising the risk of colon cancer
• Brain: Increased risk of stroke as a result of blood pressure, atherosclerosis, and inflammation
• Pancreas: Pancreatic stress as a result of insulin resistance, and risk of burning out
• Eyes: Damaged blood vessels in the retina and accelerated cataracts of the lens from blood sugar levels
Obesity is on the rise, and is by and large an effect of the modern era, due to a sedentary lifestyle and diet. Staying active 🚴🏋 and monitoring nutrition 🍐 dramatically improves health throughout the body.
When it comes to your health, knowledge is #power and prevention is #key - 5 hours ago