Since I’ve posted a poll between hip and shoulder openers, the votes were close and I really appreciate everyone who voted. So here’s a shoulder and chest opener sequence for everyone.
I tried compiling some beginner poses to incorporate in your practice.
Full video will be uploaded on IGTV
Hold every pose for 20 counts or 5 long breaths..
If you have any spinal or shoulder injury, please do consult someone before doing any of the poses.
Also, if you suffer from neck problems, please do not look sideways in any pose that requires you to have your neck other than in a neutral pose.
Remember any asana should be stable and comfortable.
With every inhalation and exhalation, try going deeper within the pose.
So the poses in the video are as follows in order:-
• Cat & Cow: Push away the floor and protract your shoulder blades while exhaling and inhale looking up. Shoulders over wrists and hips over knees.
• Dolphin: you can bend your knees to keep a flat back. Shoulder width apart and away from the ears. Upper arms parallel. Keep rocking back and forth to work on shoulder mobility. To open shoulders more, press palms together.
• Cobra: Roll shoulders away from your ears. Play with placement of your palms depending on flexibility and to deepen the stretch more. Knees and toes touching the floor. • Sphinx: Arms shoulder width apart, palms on floor and pull back on the mat to open your chest more.
• Use both blocks (you can use your bed) to place both elbows to open these tight shoulders.
• Puppy pose or Uttana Shishosana: One of my favorite poses. To get into this pose, start on all fours like in a cat and cow, move your buttocks backward towards your heels and your arms active. Rest your head and neck and eventually chest rests on the mat. • Half bow pose: Here I am only opening the chest so no need to go into a full bow. Flex your feet, hold your shins and pull back.
• Two angle pose: fists together behind back, as much as possible palms are completely touching. Exhale fold down, let your palms hang and let gravity do its work
*** More in Comments *** - 3 days ago